Europa-List: Re: Update from the Gemini 100 Folks.

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Update from the Gemini 100 Folks.
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:10:09
 Sounds like they are covering the bases fairly well.

Cheers,
Pete
A239 (still a pile of parts)

PS-  apologies for the formatting..... it was a simple cut and past from the
.pdf I received.

Gemini 100 Current Status

There has been

some slippage in

PPD' original

schedule, mainly

due to long lead

time items such

as castings, forgings and more specifically

crankshafts which will not be arriving in Hastings

until the first part of January. This pushes the

running of the engine on the test cell out to the

first week of February.

Shortly afterwards we will complete some

propeller analysis, installation work and flight

test. Once this is accomplished we will start

production and anticipate deliveries to the

experimental market in July 2008. In parallel we

will be working towards ASTM approval and

anticipate achieving it in December 2008.

We appreciate the patience that each of our

customers have shown since our announcement

at Air Venture in July, 2007. We have received

nothing but support and congratulations from the

industry.

Gemini 125 Current Status

We have received a tremendous amount of

interest in the Turbocharged Gemini 125 with

most of the questions centered on availability.

We anticipate delivering the Gemini 125 to the

market in December 2008.

The major difference between the Gemini 125

and the Gemini 100 is of course the

Turbocharger and attaching hardware.

Engineering is also contemplating a piston

change which of course prohibits any field

conversions, which is one of the common

questions we are asked. PPD will offer a special

exchange price for those customers originally

purchasing a Gemini 100 and then upgrading to

a Gemini 125 once available.

Overall dimensions of the Gemini 125 will be the

same as the Gemini 100 for the width 22.68 in.

and the height 15.75 in. The length will be 1.18

in. longer than the Gemini 100 coming in at

22.83 in.

Pricing Status

PPD has established the introductory retail price

for the Gemini engines at:

Gemini 100 $18,000.00

Gemini 125 $23,500.00

These are introductory prices and are

subject to change. Please contact PPD for

updated pricing and delivery schedules.

Order Status

Currently PPD' production through August has

been sold out. If you would like to place an order

a refundable $2500 deposit (which will be held in

escrow) is required to place your engine into our

production plan. PPD will notify you when the

engine is ready to be built at which time you will

have the choice of affirming your order and the

$2500 is no longer refundable. You will be

notified again when the engine is ready to ship

and full payment of the balance will be required.

Gemini Power Notes

Volume 1, Issue 1 December, 2007

Powerplant Developments, Ltd.

The Old Stables, Hoadlands, London Rd.

Handcross, West Sussex

RH17 6HB, UK

Telephone: +44 (0) 1444 401325

Fax: +44 (0) 1444 400745

U.S. Cell: 214-404-3981

Frequently asked Questions

One of the frequent questions we are asked

deals with vibration being commonly associated

with Diesel aircraft engines and what PPD has

done differently.

A vibration problem lies with the fight between

the acceleration forces (acting on the pistons

and rods) and the main inertia mass (the

propeller) via the spring in the system

(crankshaft, propshaft, gear flexure, etc). This

can also have an undesirable effect on the

auxiliary drives (although the auxiliaries usually

have their own damping if found necessary, but

they in turn can sometimes help slightly by

providing a low level of damping).

The method we have chosen on the Gemini

engine to dampen the 3rd and 6th order vibratory

forces common to a three cylinder engine, is to

have pendulum dampers fitted to the crank in a

similar way to those fitted in conventional aircraft

piston engines. The pre-production engines we

are running on in the test cell will also to be fitted

with a torque limiter (clutch) for added protection

and evaluation. This effectively dumps any

excessive forces and is really the only way to

guarantee that no twisting forces can be above

the design level, the dampened energy being

converted into heat that is taken away by the oil.

If after final torsional analysis on the running

Gemini engine we find the damper cannot be

fully tuned to keep vibration to an acceptable

level for the range of propellers to be used

because of their various inertia values, we will fit

a clutch as standard.

The acceleration loads on the propeller should

be well within its specified limits because the

Gemini engine being a two stroke with relatively

small cylinders produces quite a low peak torque

---From firing loads when compared to rival aircraftengines.

Think of a conventional IO-360's 90

cu.in. cylinders pounding away with only two

firing strokes per prop revolution compared to

the Gemini's 32 cu.in. cylinders firing at 4.8

times per prop revolution. The propeller will feel

like it is being driven by a turbine in comparison.

This in turn leads to the problem that other

Diesel aircraft engine manufacturers have had to

overcome. The four-stroke, large capacity of one

of these engines (76 cu.in. per cylinder) has the

same firing pulses as the conventional gasoline

four cylinders, however, their problems are

greatly compounded by the exceptionally high

rotational accelerations due to its higher

compression ratio increasing the rate of deacceleration

on compression and then

acceleration over TDC, this is exacerbated by

the longer stroke needed for a diesel, this in turn

can produce severe 2nd & 4th harmonic orders.

The peak torque loads acting on the crankshaft

are also so much higher on these four stroke

diesels. The Brake Mean Effective Pressure

(BMEP) of the competitive 4-stroke diesel

engines currently in the market place is between

226 and 272 psi at max power; compare this

with the Gemini's 101 psi BMEP.

It is also worth mentioning that while almost all

aircraft and automotive engines take their

camshaft and auxiliary drives from the whippy,

free end of the crankshaft, the Gemini engine

has its oil pump, injector pump and

supercharger drives from the smoother drive

end. The drives are actually taken from close to

the smoothest point in the drive system - the

nodal point.