Re: Europa-List: Aileron and Flap Closeouts

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron and Flap Closeouts
From: Sidsel & Svein Johnsen <sidsel.svein@oslo.online.no>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:49:02
Kingsley,

I used your alt. a) (but with one ply of bid) - see attached sketch.

I note with interest that you intend to fill only the outboard end of flap
closeouts, not the inboard.  I did the same - only the outboard ones, not
because of weight saving but because Neville while still at EA2004 told me
that filling the inboard ones had shown to increase the amount of exhaust
fumes getting into the flap drive slot in the fuselage sides.  The unfilled
closeout creates more turbulence, which evidently is good here (I am just
passing on my recollection, I may have got it wrong and cannot argue pro or
con, but as in all things Europa, I have always followed Neville's
recommendations).

I'm prejudiced, of course, but I think the filled closeouts look really nice
(less homemade, kind of).

Regards,
Svein
LN -SKJ