Re: Europa-List: Re: More on VNE

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: More on VNE
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 12:13:45

Based on my reading, it is too simplistic to say that flutter depends
only on TAS. An exact model would have to include IAS and TAS, and not
necessarily in a linear fashion. In the example of flying at FL450, the
airplane is unlikely to encounter flutter with a dynamic pressure that
is near stall condition. However, it is true that the margin between
stall and flutter can significantly narrow at higher altitudes. I was
told that the U-2 only has a few knots margin between stall and flutter
at its highest operational altitude.