Europa-List: speed kits

Subject: Europa-List: speed kits
From: Miles McCallum <milesm@avnet.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 08:28:19

You are correct that a major source of drag is the monowheel. When I flew
the prototype in '95 (?), which had separate flap and wheel levers, I set up
a stable trimmed cruise at 100 kt, and popped the mainwheel out. No change.
Part of the reason I'm hoping my taildragger conversion may be a little
quicker. My goal is 200 mph @ 8000 ft. Well, you have to aim high....

The taildragger conversion - at least the attach structure (it uses tri gear
main legs) is almost complete. All the internal bulkheads have been laid up,
all that remains to do is a 10 ply carbon strap laid into the skin
underneath (I'm awaiting for the loan of some vac bagging gear to do that) -
I'll post some pix when it's done.

Miles