Re: Europa-List: sort of off topic

Subject: Re: Europa-List: sort of off topic
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:52:04

>Hi, does any know of or have a link to an Europa plugin for
>Microsoft Flight Sim

Steve - I don't know about the MS toy program*, but I seem to recall
that a builder in USA was threatening to develop a Europa model for
the cross-platform X-Plane simulator:

http://www.X-Plane.com

I looked at the possibility myself briefly but have never yet had the
time to do anything serious with it - sorry!

* Although called "Flight Simulator", the MS program does not
actually model the physics/aerodynamics, unlike X-Plane or any other
simulator worthy of the name. Instead, it's based on a sort of
lookup-table of situations versus control inputs. Thus its behaviour
is only reasonably realistic in the parts of the envelope where the
programmers have noted that for the particular airframe in question
the aircraft behaves in a certain way for a given starting
configuration and pilot input. It's a great arcade game, and possibly
a reasonable (IFR) procedural practice tool, but it's not built on
the most appropriate underpinnings for a serious simulator.

regards

Rowland