Europa-List: Height of shoulder harness support

Subject: Europa-List: Height of shoulder harness support
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:50:40

All,

With regard to the height of the shoulder harness support vis a vis
potential spine compression in the event of an accident and the
applicable FAA regulations, I am exploring some ideas on how the height
of the shoulder harness straps could be raised without limiting access
to the baggage area or preventing use of the tops of the "head rests"
as a place to sit while entering and exiting the aircraft.

I've been thinking about this after hearing from Jeff Behrne's that he
has dismounted his elegant solution he shows at his website,
www.n55xs.com, Dec. 12, '04, because they were getting in the way (at
least that's how I understood Jeff).

My question is whether or not raising the height of the support for the
shoulder straps 4 inches above the tops of the "head rests" would be
sufficient to change the angle at which the shoulder straps intersect
with the front of one's shoulders to meet the FAA criteria...(?). Would
anyone comment on this?

Can anyone direct me to the applicable FAA regs?

Thanks,

Fred
A194

--