RE: Europa-List: BATTERY MASTER SWITCH

Subject: RE: Europa-List: BATTERY MASTER SWITCH
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 18:11:50

Hi Ferg,

I used an EV200 in my Europa and it worked fine until I had my "hit by
lighting" incident.  It turned the electronics into a small charred spec and
obviously didn't work anymore.  Of course this left me flying at 9500' with
the master contactor turned off.  Fortunately I have my system set up with
an essential buss that can be feed directly for the battery.  I guess it was
some real world testing.

Anyhow, as part of my repairs while I was "on the road" so to speak I
installed a contactor from a NAPA auto parts store for $16.50 and there it
has stayed from that day to this. It was smaller and lighter than the EV200
and it didn't cost $90... I assume that if I get hit by lightning again
(perish the thought) then it will probably continue to work.

I did try a solid state 1600A device for a while.  It worked fine until the
engine kicked back and it went the same way as the EV200 electronics.  Pity
really because it only weighed a few ounces and I didn't have to pay a one
amp penalty when it was energized.

So, in conclusion, go down to the local NAPA store and by a low tech
contactor or a battery isolator switch, sometimes simple is best.

Paul