Re: Europa-List: Request for information - play in tailplane drive -

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Request for information - play in tailplane drive -
From: Jeff B <topglock@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:56:00
Loctite

Roger,

When I did my annual, this month, I found a quarter inch slop in the
starboard tailplane.  Not wanting to rip everything apart, I decided to
use the Loc-tite method.  What I did was to spray out the parts with
automotive choke cleaner, being careful not to get any on the paint.
Then I blew it out with compressed air and allowed it to air dry for a
hour or two.  I then started saturating the joint with Permatex's
version of 603.  It's the wicking type (green) found in most automotive
parts stores.  After I was satisfied that I'd gotten as much in as I
possibly could, I let it set for 24 hours.  Checking the joint by
twisting as hard as I could, nothing moved.  I've got 6+ hours on the
repair with probably 10 landings and no movement at all.  I check the
tailplanes every time I do pre and post flights.  They are tight - no
movement.  My bird is a tri-gear with steel spring front suspension.
Flights have included 45-50 degree turns and other 2+ G maneuvers...

Hope this helps,
Jeff - Baby Blue
306 hrs