Re: Europa-List: europa list mod 74

Subject: Re: Europa-List: europa list mod 74
From: Carl Pattinson <carl@flyers.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 22:29:29

I have seen the work on the only Europa which has undergone Mod 74 courtesy
Andy Draper. We asked the same question and the feeling is there isnt enough
room to get a spanner around the securing nut to tighten it - its a lot
easier through the wing underside.

The access hole is about 1.5" diameter and the repair afterwards extends to
about 9" square. As its on the underside it has little effect on the
aerodynamics of the wing and is easy to conceal.

My understanding is the PFA will consider an alternative means of access and
someone is looking into this.

One aspect of Mod 74 (yet to be decided) is that it may incorporate a tie
bar similar to the weight increase mod - or the present weight increase mod
may become mandatory. There is a question mark over the effectiveness of the
top hat stiffeners currently specified in the older Europas (without tie
bars).