Europa-List: tail plane balancing

Subject: Europa-List: tail plane balancing
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@orange.fr>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:27:20

I agree that balancing the tail plane outside the aircraft is a lot better than
doing it in situ. Doing it that way, I discovered that my tail planes were
significantly
overbalanced. I removed a total of 365 grams from the mass balance,
part of which was due to the heavier Mod 70 balance arm. It is always nice to
have an opportunity to reduce your airplane weight.
Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,  912S, Airmaster, 493 hours

Carl
I could be corrected too but imho because the rest of the pitch control
system only moves fore and aft it won't influence balance, so I would
think balancing disconnected is OK. The rest of system will affect
natural resonant frequency but not the initial response due to G loading.
Tell me if I' wrong?
Graham