Europa-List: Mod 73 Fray

Subject: Europa-List: Mod 73 Fray
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:12:51

I have been keeping out of the fray as I did not want to add to the 30 or
so E mails every night.  This doesn't apply to the European types as they
must pay homage to the PFA.  I am surprised to note that no one has
mentioned a modification that was detailed in what I believe was sent in to
the Europa Newsletter when it was being published years ago.  I had done
this to my tail planes and it appears to be pretty robust and not dependent
on the TP6 debonding to keep the integrity of mating of  the drive pins at
the tail plane root.  The deviation involved making a receptacle in the
top of the  tailplane out of an internally threaded PVC pipe stub.  Mine
has about an inch and  a half inside diameter.  This is positioned so that
the pip pin is almost touching the  inboard periphery of the ID. Debonding
of TP6 would result in the pin acting in shear against the inside of the
receptacle, holding the tailplane in place.  I turned the OD of the unit a
little over 2" before I bonded down into the meaty thickness of the upper
tailplane.  A plug was turned to thread into the cavity top so this holds
the pip pin in weather the balls are sprung or not.  I don't  have alot of
hours on the aircraft yet for a history however it has been rigged and
derigged at least 75~100 times.  I have had  the TP5's come loose and have
done work on them.  These are exposed to greater stress as  when you put
the planes on and they are not exactly level you invariably have some
levering action  going on until you get things started  and pushed in.

Just My 2 cents

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa AZ