RE: Europa-List: Fuel filters

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel filters
From: Terry Seaver terrys <terrys@cisco.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 09:31:18

Hi Fred,

The glass filters supplied with our kit had had some reported problems,
plugging up with tank residue (swarf) and with cracks in the glass.  It
occurred to us that the glass filters would trap and hold tank residue
up against the filter material, plugging it up, with gravity helping to
hold it there.

The Andair gascolator, on the other hand, has a water trap at the bottom
of it and a fine mesh screen at the top.  Not only does water settle to
the bottom, but also particles heavier than gasoline.  We did a simple
test with fuel tank swarf, and found it was heavier than gas, and
settled to the bottom of the gascolator, where it can be drained out on
the next pre-flight check for water.  Please note that gravity helps
keep the particles out of the screen of a gascolator, unlike the glass
filters supplied with the kit.

Regards,
Terry Seaver
A135 / N135TD