Re: Europa-List: Re: Tailplane Torque Tube

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Tailplane Torque Tube
From: Graham Singleton <grahamsingleton@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 23:57:48

Jim
my understanding is that enlarging the pin holes more than about 3/8"
will start to weaken the TP9, have you increased the size much from 3/8?
Graham
hoping for a ride one day when you have the long wings installed!

h&amp;jeuropa wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Yes we have installed taper pins and although we haven't flown with them, they
are very secure and there is no play in the system.  We did it a little
differently
than described initially.  We loctited a tube inside the torque tube as
descirbed and we opened up the original holes to accept the taper pins so they
are horizontal.  Since we had the oversize pins in place, there wasn't much
material left on TP9, so our machine shop made steel rings which were welded
in place on each side of TP9 to provide a reasonable amount of material for the
taper pins.  On the outer end, we just installed taper pins thru the nylon
sleeve
like original.  Others who have the original 1/4" pins have just replaced
them with taper pins as there is plenty of material available.

> We found that removing the torque tube assembly is not difficult just working
through the access hole on the stbd side and viewing through the little hole
at the base of the vertical fin on the stbd side.  The most difficult part is
attaching the mass balance assembly and pitch push rod to TP9!