Europa-List: Tailplane torque tube pip pins

Subject: Europa-List: Tailplane torque tube pip pins
From: Fred Klein <fklein@orcasonline.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 21:46:28

Roger,

With the PFA circular, there's a thriving discussion on the Europa-list
on the subject of tailplane "play", particularly on the configuration
of the hole for the pip pins and bearing on the TP6 bushing.

My kit is an XS quickbuild and the pip pin holes and TP6 were done in
the factory. At the surface of the tailplane skin, the holes are 40mm
in diameter, but they taper in as depth increases and the 1/4" dia.
hole is at the approximate center of what I'd describe as a hemisphere
with an inside radius of 10mm rather than a flat surface.  Need I have
any concerns with this configuration?

Also...I've fitted my torque tube w/ Mod 62 drive pins...I can't help
but wonder if any consideration was given to bumping up the size of the
pip pins to 3/8" dia. as well for the same reason  (?)

Though I'd like answers to my questions at some point, they are not
time sensitive...I suspect that this tailplane flutter issue is square
in front of you and has your full attention...at some point, I hope the
factory will be able to settle everyone down with some solid
pronouncements.

Fred

--
believed to be clean.