Europa-List: torque tube backlash specs

Subject: Europa-List: torque tube backlash specs
From: William Harrison <willie.harrison@tinyonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 18:14:22
Dear All

Can anyone tell me why finite backlash is permitted between the TR4
torque tube and the TP12 drive flanges, but none is permitted between

the mass balance assembly and the torque tube?

Surely backlash anywhere in the chain between the mass balance and
the tailplanes is equally undesirable from a flutter viewpoint? Or,
looked at from the other way, if there is a finite amount of backlash

allowable consistent with anti flutter behaviour, then why can this
not be distributed as a "backlash budget" amongst all the links in
the chain?

Have I missed something? Because if not, I suspect an awful lot of UK

Europas are going to get grounded pending what may be an unnecessary
and painful "repair" to the TP9 horn attachment. (In all the
circumstances, don't expect any flexibility from your inspector in
interpreting the document...)

Incidentally, the 1/2" drive flange backlash, (measured at the
tailplane trailing edges), as specified in the Safety Bulletin, is a
lot more than the 3/16" limit which I recall being told by Europa 3
years ago. Can anyone shed light on that?

Willie Harrison