Europa-List: Re: builder test flying his own creation?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: builder test flying his own creation?
From: europa flugzeug fabrik <n3eu@oh.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 19:17:00

grahamsingleton@btinte wrote:
> In the USA the number of accidents to builders first flighting is depressingly
high, (not just Europas) we spend all our waking hours thinking and doing the
build and tend to neglect our flying skills. Then we try and fly an aircraft
with unknown characteristics which might not even be true to type.

This is actually old history.  One can take NTSB's raw data file each year and
analyze amateur-built accidents by A/C type and airframe hours at the time of
the accident.  We will first see that around 90% of completions are now
kitplanes,
and accidents due to mechanical causes are way down.  So are pilot error
accidents, because these are becoming infrequent with fewer planes with
difficult
flight characteristics and not enough of them built to get some dual before
first flight.

With kits we have standardization of construction instructions and further
support
---From the kit mfr.  We have type-specific support available on the internet.
There still are some accidents, mostly due to a builders "better" way of
implementing
the fuel system or installing a used automobile engine in a poor way.

Fred F.

Read this topic online here: