Europa-List: Mode S Transponders

Subject: Europa-List: Mode S Transponders
From: Duncan & Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:03:36

Copied from Devonstrut Newsletter:
Mode S Update

The current state of play with mode S was outlined by the CAA at a recent
National Air Traffic Management

Advisory Committee (NATMAC) meeting and posted on the PFA BB by Strut
members and PFA vice

chairman John Brady:

Stage 1: In March 2008 Mode S would be mandated everywhere above FL100 and
when flying IFR in

controlled airspace. From that date, no further installations of Mode A/C
transponders would be approved,

only Mode S. A transition period would be allowed.

Stage 2: At a later date to be defined, Mode S would be required for flight
in Class D airspace and in

Transponder Mandatory Zones which have yet to be defined. The first stage
would be implemented without

further consultation but there would be public consultation about stage 2.
Sense prevailing at last.

The PFA Bulletin Board has a more complete "debate".

Duncan McF.