Re: Europa-List: Re: Vortex Generators

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Re: Vortex Generators
From: Rowland & Wilma Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 21:06:56

>I am interested in checking my leading edge with a profile but I
>could not open the file either  because I don't have any special
>programs.
>I guess if we had say an Excel file of coordinates covering the
>front few inches we could all plot it on some cardboard or 3-ply and
>do our checks

Bob - sorry for delay in responding. And apologies for posting to the
list when I said I was contacting Graham off-list! I'll continue here
now as there seems to be some wider interest.

I managed to get some sense out of the .DXF data that Graham embedded
in his posting; CADintosh produced an almost-complete airfoil (after
complaining about the DXF version) but TurboCAD Mac did much better
and shows a whole profile, top & bottom, LE to TE.

However:

>>>I made templates of the first 10 inches of section at about 8 stations

If I understand the above posting from Graham correctly, I should be
seeing 8 partial outlines, but I can only see one complete one, so
maybe something is getting lost in translation.

(I'm a great believer in plain ASCII files of tab-text delimited
data. Almost any application can read and make use of that format,
then munge it in its own way.)

Ian Rickard found the .DWG file opened OK for him, and offered to
export it as some other format. So, Ian, if your file shows multiple
profiles, perhaps you could let Bob & myself have a custom .DXF
export, please (AutoCAD v12, Codepage DOS default). If the drawing is
in layers, each one may have to be exported separately - I'm not sure
if DXF supports layers.

Thanks for all the help on this topic.

regards

Rowland