Europa-List: Re: Broken Leg

Subject: Europa-List: Re: Broken Leg
From: rlborger <rlborger@mac.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 08:09:43
Jos,

Goodness, you frightened me.  I was afraid that you had broken one of
your legs!

Glad to hear it was "only" an outrigger leg.

I can not imagine one of those Nylon bars breaking.  Nylon is
extremely strong and resistant to breakage.  There must have been a
defect in that length of bar. I have a Remington Nylon 66 rifle that
was manufactured back in the mid-'60's and after uncounted rounds of .
22 LR and cleaning solutions the Nylon stock and receiver are just
about like new with no apparent loss of strength.

To go along with Michale Grass's comments...  I looked up the
properties of Nylon and the only substances which seem to affect
Nylon are Dilute Acids and Alcohol.  I guess Acetone should be added
to that list.  It is possible that you or, most probably, the painter
may have exposed the Nylon to one of those?

I'd say you need to contact E'04 for a new pair of legs.  I'd replace
both legs, just in case both legs were subjected to the same
situation that caused the breakage.  You'd hate to find out that both
legs had been affected on a gusty, cross-wind landing.

Good building and great flying,
Bob Borger
Europa Kit #A221 N914XL, XS Mono, Intercooled 914, Airmaster C/S
http://www.europaowners.org/N914XL
(85%) tail kit done, wings closed, cockpit module installed, pitch
system in, landing gear frame in, rudder system in, outrigger mod in,
Fuselage Top on, lift/drag/flap pins in, wing incidence set, tie bar
in, flap drive in, Mod 70 done.  Baggage bay in.  Flaps & Main Gear
complete.  Mod 72 complete.  Working in - 24 Instrument Panel, 25
Electrical, 30 Fuel System, 32 Tail, 34 Door Latches & 35 Doors, 37
Finishing.  Airmaster arrived 29 Sep 05.  Seat arrived from Oregon
Aero.  E04 interior kit has arrived and is being installed.
Installing the ROTAX 914, again.
3705 Lynchburg Dr.
Corinth, TX  76208
Home:  940-497-2123