Re: Europa-List: A198 Monowheel Over Center stats & anybody flying with

Subject: Re: Europa-List: A198 Monowheel Over Center stats & anybody flying with
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@redzone.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:29:51
Cleve Lee wrote:-

>This weekend I took the time to disassemble my mono gear which had been
assembled a few years ago. I took some measurements.

> Using feeler gauges, one Port swing arm was .055" away from seating
when the Starboard leg was against the stop.  Doing the Trig, after
grinding this down to equal seating, this provided .8 degree improvement
in Over Center condition.

Hello Cleve,

If your Port swing arm (LG08) was .055" away from the stop when the
Starboard one was against the stop, as far as I can see, this would mean
that there was a fairly good chance the LG08 arms were either not pinned
correctly in the first place or one or both of the roll pins securing
the LG08 arms is/are slightly sheared.

The important thing to check is that the two LG08 arms are in the same
plane when viewed from the side.  If they are and they don't both
contact their respective stops simultaneously, then one of the stops is
shorter than the other.

If your arms are NOT in the same plane and you have adjusted the length
of one of the stops as it appears you may have, then neither the arms
nor the stops will be correct.

After pinning mine the first time as per the procedure in the manual,
although both arms touched the stops together, the arms were NOT in the
same plane.  This is when I discovered the stops were not the same
lengths.  Refer to my recent posting and photos.

Before adjusting the lengths of the stops, I repinned the arms to the
shaft making use of the perfectly flat surface of my drill press table
to make sure the arms were in the same plane.  After this was achieved,
I then shortened the longer of the two stops.

Cleve, like a lot of topics on this list, I think the over centre debate
has reached it's climax and will now fade away.  There are a lot of mono
Europas flying that have not had uncommanded gear retraction problems so
if I were you, I wouldn't contemplate locking the gear down.  If you can
positively identify any problems with the geometry in your landing gear
and remove all the things that have been known to cause problems, I'm
sure you will be rewarded with a reliable undercarriage for many hours
to come.  (Says I who is not flying yet and will probably end up eating
humble pie . . . so I'll leave it to others on the list to shoot me
down)

Regards
Kingsley in Oz