Europa-List: Fuel System

Subject: Europa-List: Fuel System
From: Graeme Smith <gcsmith@flyer.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 21:28:58

Hi Graham,

I'm just getting around to fitting the new fuel system and have a few
questions:

1. I had understood that rigid tubing could only be used in the tunnel and
that flexible tubing (i.e. hose) was required for the attachment to the tank
(since it is 'floating') and inside the engine compartment (since the
connections to carbs, mech fuel pump etc have hose connections. Your parts
list and diags don't really mention the fuel runs in the engine bay, at what
point do you change from rigid alu tube to hose? Given the excessive temps
in the engine bay due to poor cooling airflow, what spec hose do you use?

2. I was planning to install a fuel computer, there has been a lot of chat
on the internet about fuel flow sensors, and the conclusion seems to be that
floscan are the only ones that will not block fuel flow if the impeller
jams, however they don't seem to work with the Stratomaster FF2 which is the
computer that I was thinking of installing so this part of it might have to
wait til the next rebuild.

3. You recommend bonding a length of alu tube into the tank fitting. Does
this just feed the drain fitting? Is this really necessary, surely if you
want to drain the tank either pull the whole tank fitting out, or lift the
tail so that the fuel flows to the front of the tank.

4. There are no coarse filters in the tank. Since the fuel has to pass
through the tight narrow passages in the fuel tap etc before getting to the
gascolator (I still have the original Europa one, haven't yet decided
whether to replace with the Andair), it seems that any crud in the tank is
best trapped there. I have got a pair of finger strainers from LAS, and was
going to bond them into the tank fitting instead of the drain tube. Do you
see any problem with this?

Hope all is well with you,
Graeme