RE: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse - One way to make the lever stif

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Re. mono gear collapse - One way to make the lever stiffer
From: Peter Jeffers <pjeffers@talktalk.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2007 06:53:05
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 15:03:39 -0000

Hi Stephan,

As you say it is essential that the gear lever joint is absolutely
rigid.
There is the optional mod, or the =91bonded=92 approach or indeed both.
Together with the solid joint must go the proviso, as clearly defined in
the
instructions, that there is positive contact at both downlock stops.
This
should ensure a safe downlock configuration.

To ensure that this situation does not change over time and especially
after
=91heavy=92 landings, regular inspections need to be carried out.
During the
course of inspections on a couple of Europas I have found this positive
stop
contact to have been lost on  one side.  I have no reason to think that
they
were originally built this way but have got that way in service.  The
effectiveness of the over centre lock is negated if one side makes
contact
early.

On the matter of =91keeping it straight=92 then this would seem fine
just
providing that at the up and locked position the gear handle is firmly
sprung loaded into the detent in the gear lever slot. IE spring loaded
the right!

If not there is a nasty tendency for the gear to come out of the
=91up=92
position  in flight, particularly in turbulence. This can happen at 165
kts!
(flap limit speed?)

How is the weather in Norway this weekend?  I bet is was OK.
Grrrrrrrrr.

Pete Jeffers

   _____