Europa-List: Flying a foreign Europa to the UK

Subject: Europa-List: Flying a foreign Europa to the UK
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 11:50:02
Hi all,

I just discovered the Flying to the UK page on the Europa Club website and I am
puzzled by this new requirement. The CAA foreign aircraft exemption page says
:

If your aircraft is homebuilt, you do not need to apply to us for an Exemption.
Please see Airworthiness Notice 52 for more information.

Then the Airworthiness Notice 52  requires that prior to each visit to the UK,
the aircraft owner shall apply for an exemption.

Which one is right ?

Up to now, no exemption was necessary for homebuilts. This was based on
reciprocal
agreements such as: the French authorities recognize PFA aircraft and allow
them to fly to France without prior permission, then the UK authorities do the
same with French homebuits. Same thing between most European countries (Spain
and Italy are still exceptions to this reasonable rule, as far as I know).

Having to apply for an exemption before each visit to the UK will be another
burden
(added to high landing fees and the typical British weather!) and will
contribute
to dissuade most of us to fly to the UK. What a pity!

Could anyone help to clarify the above requirement ?

Regards

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,  912S, Airmaster, 435 hours