RE: Europa-List: Undercarriage Overcentre Locking

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Undercarriage Overcentre Locking
From: Graeme Smith <gcsmith@flyer.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:17:17

Ron,

Thanks very much for the info and your experience with the over centre
locking -- very valuable!

When I say I measured the overcentre, I really meant that I eyeballed it by
sighting along the centres. It was over centre but only by a very small
amount (maybe 1/16"). There is nothing in the manual to say how much past
centre it should be. You say Andy said 1/8" would be the limit, that's good
to know. I have now ground away the stops, another constraint is contact
between the LG08P and the LG mounting frame. There is a scalloped area in
LG08P to provide clearance against the frame, removing more than a couple of
mm from the stops quickly brings LG08P very close to the frame.

I don't understand the bit about overloading the landing gear frame, surely
this must be designed to take the full landing load which would mostly pass
through the reaction plates to the stops, with some load being taken by the
top attach point on the LG frame??

Regards,
Graeme