Europa-List: fire sleeve ~ the trick

Subject: Europa-List: fire sleeve ~ the trick
From: Thomas Scherer <thomas@scherer.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:08:35

Hello everyone,

during my replacement of oil lines and returning to the regular Rotax 912
pistons I had to slide a tight firesleeve over some 2 feet of oil line.

I remember in the old days how I spent hours twisting, pushing (and
swearing) over this task. This time around a fellow builder introduced me to
the aircompressor technique. Here is how it goes:

You tighten the end of your fire sleeve (clamp it). Then push in the oil (or
whatever) tube into the firesleeve. Have somebody then feed compressed air
into the oil hose and insert the oil hose into the firesleeve. It will go in
like a hot knive cuts butter ! Just keep the pressure on inserting ~ if you
let go - the hoses will seperate with a nice 'thump'-sound.

What you basically want to do, is to widen the firesleeve with airpressure
while inserting the oil line. I got a nice tight fit and only had to cut off
the clamped end of the firesleeve.

Hope this is new to some of you and helps.

~~~~~~~

Reason to take the Xtra high compression pistons out again was an oil-loss
which over 9 months I was unable to seal off. The engine would go through 3
qts of oil in 9 hours of flighttime. And since I will fly N81EU from Los
Angeles to Calcutta this year, I need more than 9 hours of nonstop flying...

Happy Landings !

<Thomas, N81EU>