Re: Europa-List: remote oil press sensor

Subject: Re: Europa-List: remote oil press sensor
From: William Mills <william@wrmills.plus.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 10:20:15

Hi Paul,
I mounted the standard Rotax oil pressure sensor on the front of the stb
footwell connected with a standard length of Europa oil hose to the
crankcase orifice.  I also trapped a 1 mm dia restrictor pellet in the line
at the engine end, just in case of a major oil leak.  I have never filled
the line with oil or bled it and it still works OK.
The reason for moving it is to insulate the sensor from engine vibration,
which has caused sensors to fail on a number of engines, resulting in zero
pressure reading at the gauge with associated pilot heart failure!
I have never had one fail, so perhaps it is worth doing.  I hope that
doesn't sound like the man sprinkling Tiger Repellent Powder on the streets
of London!
Best wishes,
William