RE: Europa-List: Airmaster Prop

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Airmaster Prop
From: AlStills <astills@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 11:04:30

Brian,
I have had the Arimaster installed during the summer here in the desert and
could not keep cool on the ground so I changed to the wood Jabiru prop for
brake in. 60x48. Keeps cool with that prop. The engine has settled in now
and am changing back to Airmaster. I should be able to keep cool on the
ground during winter temps. Yes the blade roots are way out on the Airmaster
(8" from center) but there are Jabiru's flying with them. Just have to limit
gound travel when
possible. The ram air ducts come with the Jabiru engine and have to be
tweeked to get the air right in them. I had to baffel the front of the
intake up onto
the front cylinders a small amount and put a dam (Approx 3/4") in the top of
one between #4 & 6 to get the air moving right. Also had to dam the very
back of the
duct up as too much air was then moving over the rear of the cylinders. They
are pretty much even in CHT's now and settling down very well. I have 19 hrs
on the
engine so far and CHT's are settling to approx 325 Deg's F in cruise. I 'm
at about a max of 295 during taxi and in the low 370's on climb out. I have
no doubt the
Airmaster will work, just have to baby it on the ground. It remains to be
seen what will happen during the hot summers here in Arizona
Just a note...in running my airmaster during the summer, after I tweeked the
baffeling, I was able to cool down while sitting at idle.
Hope this helps
Al Stills
N625AZ