Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed / Wing Load Test

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Vne Speed / Wing Load Test
From: NevEyre@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:47:52
Hi All,
Casting my memory back some ten years ago.... to the testing we [Europa]  did
on the XS wings.... went something like this...
First we built a steel jig to hold a single wing on, so that it was
inverted, and tilted leading edge down , to simulate it flying normal way  up /

leading edge up [ worst case load is positive angle of attack, I  forget the
exact

angle,] wing was fixed with the normal [ at that time] non pip  pin spar pins,

and the rigid drag pin sockets.......  steel weights [10Kg  & 5Kg] were then
placed on the lower skin, with a carpet underlay to  give a non slip surface,
to a pre-determined plan to ultimately go past  something like 12G.
We supported the wing with a scafold tower arrangement whilst we were  adding
to the weights, going up in increments of ''G's'', taking away the  support
at each stage to measure deflection and twist, so rather than the  required
time [for the P.F.A.] unsupported of about 3 seconds, the  wing was under load

each time for probably a couple of minutes.......It got  to something like 7G
[at 1370 lbs AUW] the first try, before the tang of  the spar ''walked off'' the

spar pin and dumped the 3000 or so lbs of weight  onto my workshop floor.
[Hence my previous posting to the forum about leaving  off the pip pin style
spar

pin in the port seatback bush?]
Wing / spar undamaged, but rib/ lift & drag pin plates ripped.
It was then decided to test wings in pairs, fitted to a fuselage, so a
fuselage was set up on a pedestal, supported by the seat pan / seatback /
baggage

bay areas, in the same nose down / inverted stance. The height was  set to
allow spanwise deflection of the wings [ so the door sills were about 6'  off
the

ground ] A strap was fitted to the port spar, in an attempt to contain  the
''walking'' of the spars aft, and the swivel drag sockets and the ''tie  bar''

were added. Loading [both wings together] went as planned, we  were watching
the spars through access holes cut in the fuselage, the wings  passed the test[

forget the figure, something like 9.8] but it was obvious the  spar strap was
under stress. At this time, Francis Donaldson, and John Tempest  [AKA Billy
Bunter] of the P.F.A. wanted to see another test [I am still  convinced for
their own curiousity, rather than any truly technical reason] So  we sourced and

fitted the pip pins [as supplied in the XS kit nowadays] and  did the test
again. No problems, the pip pins were containing the aft movement  of the spar

tang. We kept going with the test, again, I can't recall the exact  figure we
went to, past 11G, I recall , when the wood core in the spar  [between the two

pin bushings] ruptured, and let the rovings in the spars twist  over [ top cap

to the bottom / bottom to the top] and something like 7000 lbs  went on the
floor this time. The spar cap rovings returned to their original  positions, no

visible damage, just the core was ruptured. So.... we picked up  the weights,
had a coffee or two, and started to reload the wings, and got to  more than 3G

before the spar cap rovings swapped place again.... so you can  break the
wing at + 12G, unload and it will return to position, and as  long as you keep

below 3G, fly yourself home. From memory, we did 3 sets of  wings in during
testing,[ P.F.A. kept moving the ''goal posts''.] All tests  gave similar
results.

Years later, I managed to catch Francis off guard, asking what R.V. had to
do to clear the RV10 to fly in the U.K ? His answer? Supply  the  paperwork to

support the stress calculations... and have a couple of them  flying.......
when I enquired why Europa had to test 3 sets of XS wings,  and dance through
even more silly tests to get the MG wings cleared for over  here [ when there
were two allready flying in the U.S.A.] He went an embarrasing  shade of
red.... no answer then ? [The MG wings have been tested on the same  single wing

test rig [ beefed up, as we broke the rig itself the first time] to  a much
higher G load than the XS wings. You will not break either sets of  wings. .
re the VNE testing, Pete Clark did that, very carefully,  increasing  in
small increments, at high altitude with a parachute..... well past the  limit...

but don't push YOUR luck in YOUR plane?
Cheers, Nev.