Europa-List: First Flight

Subject: Europa-List: First Flight
From: AlStills <astills@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 07:28:13

A little note to all on further flights on N625AZ.
I've put approximately 5 flight hours on the plane with 3.5 hrs of dual with
Bob Lindsay to meet Insurance requirements. All I can say is !!!What a
plane!!!.
The stalls are straight foreword with a left wing drop in the dirty
configuration, easily caught with right rudder but something to pay
attention to. So far have been able
to catch in about 150 ft. With practice should be able to catch in 50 ft.
This is not your old Cessna ! The Jabiru engine has powered the flight
perfectly. The engine
temps have been controllable and are getting better as the engine brakes in.
Sink rate at flair on landing is a bit more than the heavier Cirrus but
again, practice will make perfect
when it come to landing. This little bird can really handle crosswind
landing as demonstrated Wednesday with 90 Deg crosswinds @ 16 Kts gusting to
25 Kts. Quite
a sight picture looking out front while landing and yawed to almost 60 Degs
off the runway coming in. Kick out to land and it makes you look like a pro!
(The pro Bob
Lindsay was flying). Haven't pushed the climb rate yet as having to keep the
temps in line but 500 Ft per min is very easy and a good target on brake in.
Demonstrated
VNE with 3 G on the frame with no adverse reaction at all. Steep turns are
like on a rail. I think easier to hold than the bigger planes. Power on
stalls get you the
Europa bobble so plenty of warning and easily controllable.
I'll post a little more for those installing Jabiru's after I get some hours
on it. Pay attention to cooling air before getting into air. A good baffling
in the RAM air ducts is a must.
The airmaster will not handle the temps during brake in. ( at least in
mine), so borrowed a Jabiru 60 X 48 climb prop for brake in. Max RPM so far
has been 2850 RPM with 2650
at take off. The only problem I've had is a piece of matter through the carb
to cause a jolt to the engine. Landed and took some building matter out of
the gascolater that
had been shook up during the trials. I did change the fuel system over to
the same as Steve Hager with the 2 filters (I used 2" filters) in a parallel
system so there is one working
should one get plugged up. So far just little matter in the filters.
Al Stills
N625AZ