Europa-List: Open canopy

Subject: Europa-List: Open canopy
From: CHUCK RHOADS <cfrhoads@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:38:46
__________________________________________________________=0A=0A50/50  Fift
y feet in the air and 50 feet of runway left, OK; however, not good when th
e canopy comes open.=0A =0AThanksgiving day was beautiful and I had not bee
n home for 2 weeks so I decided to go flying.  The temperature was the cold
est that I had flown my plane, 40's in the hanger.  The door/canopy did not
 close quite normal which I attribute to the temp change.  After two touch
& goes all looked great until the door came open.  First I thought that I w
as a "has been", but I noticed that the plane was still controllable and th
at the canopy was still intact.  After reminding myself several times FLY T
HE PLANE, I was able to use my left hand to hold the canopy shut.  About th
at time I remembered that there was a 20-30 story Holiday Inn just ahead of
 me now that I was off course, so stress got to be a little high.  Downwind
 went fairly normally; however, the landing became interesting because I ha
d never used my right hand on the controls and thus there was no easy to co
ntrol throttle, trim, etc.  The landing actually turned out to be pretty go
od, that may be relative because I have
 had many that were not pretty.=0A =0AOn another note, my Geo Metro engine
is working great and the engine computer greatly simplifies the engine mana
gement.  In cases like that above simplicity can contribute to safety.=0A
=0AChuck Rhoads  A100=0AN246CR  Trike=0A=0A=0A =0A_________________________
yahoo.com