Europa-List: Testing exhausts for leaks

Subject: Europa-List: Testing exhausts for leaks
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 18:02:56
Hi Guys,

If you are worried about CO infiltrating your cabin heat system from your
exhaust muff there is a really easy way to test for leaks. You need a shop  vac

that has a "blow" option, some duct tape (can't survive without it) some
soapy water and something to apply the soapy water. I use a cotton ball clamped

in hemostats to apply the soapy water, but you could use a squirt bottle, paper

 towel, etc.

First, hook up the shop vac onto one exhaust stack. Tape the other closed.
Turn on the vac and soap all the external welds on the expansion chamber. If
you  have a leak the soap will bubble. Repeat for the other stack to make sure

you  didn't miss any leaks the first go around. This is part of my normal
routine  for annual inspection on my Citabria and Pawnee (and now my  Europa)

And Alan, regarding your woes of trying to import your bird, remember the
official FAA motto: We're the FAA. We're not happy until you're not  happy!

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
N245E - Flying - 62.6 hours