Re: Europa-List: Bell Intercoolers Contact info

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Bell Intercoolers Contact info
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 21:38:41

Robert,

> Some time ago you published this message below ....about intercoolers.
> Have you flown with it yet? What intake drop in temperature is to be
> expected / and does it therefore promote the increased likelihood of
> carb ice?

Maybe you'll be interested to know that our 914 intercooler was designed
by Gerhard Schruf to our specs, and we've been flying for two years with it.
The charge air temp drop is about 25C in winter and 20C in summer
(ground OAT 37C). Calculated cruise efficiency is about 60%.

Concerning carb ice, our engine is tightly cowled, and the carbs usually
run at 40-50 C, measured at the aft of the right float-bowl. We never
experienced any ice related trouble, even flying under heavy rain.
I made two cooling airscoops to direct some cold air onto the carbs.
Some pictures of our cowling can be seen at
http://contrails.free.fr/diap/phpslideshow.php?directory=diapo_capot_if

Our setup includes a correct diffuser and ram air inlet, and a good
nozzle exhaust, with no cooling air leaks nor obstructions.
Of course our aircraft is not a Europa, but this may be of interest as a
comparison. The empty weight and performance are about the same.

FWIW,
Regards,
Gilles Thesee
Grenoble, France