Europa-List: Less hair raising landings

Subject: Europa-List: Less hair raising landings
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 18:18:04
After 25 landings in the last 2 days the technique is now becoming apparrent ,
though more subconsciously by the feet rather than by the brain.  Several nice
squeakers toward the end of the  effort  were very satisfying knowing what it
takes to do it.  Received some wind and rain experience to boot.  Came in
several
times with the nose crabbed about  20 degrees off the runway centerline for
wind compensation and managed to get the kick to straight upon touchdown fairly
easily.  As noted before here many times  the secret it keeping it straight.
Early trials had me trying to use the "heavy boot" technique.  This resulted
in much lateral use of the runway.   My old tailwheel instructor (who isn't
very old)  was permitted  aboard by an extra paragraph I had put in my program
letter, basically  had gotten me to consider foot "pressures" rather than
radical
movements.  It seems that way you are automatically ahead of the plane
rather than trying to add a bunch of footwork to cha
 se an excursion to get back to straight.   Once out of line it took me awhile
to figure out to lessen up the pressure much before getting straight or the ship
would get out of line the other way.  I now just have to make the  feet not
forget what they learned if I'm not out there in awhile.

The key seems to be to go at it and  go at it hard to get the technique down.
Back to back days seemed to do the trick.  However toting the acft. out to the
field and assembling it is still a royal pain in the  ass, I will probably  get
much less flying than I otherwise would.  Though it assembles and disassembles
fairly easily.  I have dolly that is bolted and pinned to the  undercarriage
that allows me to roll it around without the wings that takes a little time
to do.

Fuel flow meter has been calibrated to within about 1% of at least what the gas
pump reads at a certain particular station.

Still getting some high CO in the  cockpit  during pattern work  after initial
mods.  It clears  right up when the flaps come up and get some speed going.
Need
to get rid of the left eyeball fresh air vent and make it look like the right
side where I have a  1" X 3" rectangular opening inside the NACA vent.  I
need to find or fabricate a little door for it to close it off when not needed.
Has any one fabbed up something like this?

Right strobe light is inop, need to investigate.

The plane flys in a straighforward manner and  is predictable in every way.  It
has about 18 hours on it with about 15 with me at the controls.

My hand held Garmin GPS 92's screen had  faded out so much that I can hardly see
it anymore. I'm looking for something new now.  Is any one out there using
something they particularly like that they can recommend.   I don't need color
or terrain avoidance etc just basic navigation with some airport information.
I had been comfortable with using a stopwatch and a compass for awhile when
my last hand held went south.  I am strictly low tech.  Just give me a  plane
that's reliable, ecomical and flys good.  No need for bells and whistles.
Though
the  tune might change when long cross country flights become the  norm.
Erich Trombley's wing auto pilot was nice to have when droning back from
Oshkosh.

Enough rambling for now.

Steve Hagar
A143