Europa-List: Rotax oil pressure sender

Subject: Europa-List: Rotax oil pressure sender
From: Rémi Guerner <air.guerner@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 21:01:20
I replaced the VDO oil pressure sender last week after 430 engine hours. The
indicated
pressure on the Flydat with the old unit was gradually going down from
4 bars to 2.8 bars and was still indicating 2.8 bars after the engine was shut
down, even after a few days or weeks. The old unit had the brass ring, the new
one does not. I purchased the new one from  the French Rotax dealer  for 63
Euros.  With the new sender, the oil pressure now oscillates from 3.3 to 3.6
bars, probably due to vibration. This is not satisfactory. Although  I am
reluctant
to add another hose to the two dozens already under the cowling,  I am planning
to move the sender to the firewall using flexible hose, as on every Lycoming
installation.  This should greatly reduce the risk of failure.

Remi Guerner
F-PGKL, XS S/N395 monowheel,  912S, Airmaster, 434 hours