Re: Europa-List: batteries

Subject: Re: Europa-List: batteries
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:53:12

Paul Stewart a crit :

> Can anyone give me some help with batteries? I've just priced up a
> 17AH  'Red Top'  at 121 GBP. I can get hold of YUASA 17AH leads acid
> gel batteries for 37GBP.  THe only obvious difference to me is that
> the Red Top product claims 625A cranking power at 20 degC and the
> YUASA 450A.  Would this lower power be enough for cranking the 914 or
> am I missing another reason for spending an extra 100 quid?

Paul,

A small four years old Hawker 7 Ah SBS-8 has ample power to lawlessly
crank our Rotax 914. I tested  it from -14C to +37C.
The advertised cranking power is circa 300-400 A. The Rotax starter
doesn't exceed one hundred peak amps.
So I believe there is no need to worry.

If it were my airplane, I would go for a smaller and lighter battery.
I believe that the Yuasa battery is rather of the Absorbed Glass Mat, or
Recombinant Gas type, and not of the gel model. Gel batteries are best
suited for traction (wheel chairs, fork lifts, etc...)
If you're not afraid of reading French, you'll find some info on AGM
batteries at
http://contrails.free.fr/elec_bat_rg.php

Hope this helps,
Regards,