RE: Europa-List: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Heat exchanger for the XS Europa
From: Rob Housman <robh@hyperionef.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 14:16:15

While my scheme is not literally using air from outside of the cowling, the
duct created by CD1, CD2, CD3, and the rubber seals against the fiberglass
cowling isolates the cooling air flow from everything else within the
cowling.  More importantly, and not apparent unless you see the actual
design, there is a stainless steel "fire door" that will shut off the air
flow to the cockpit (at the firewall) if there is a fire within the
cowling - the "fire door" closes automatically because it is spring loaded
and held open by a fusible link that will melt at 100 deg C.

Unfortunately I can't overcome the objection to a burst heat exchanger
allowing hot liquid into the cabin air stream.  However, the way that I have
designed the intake to the SCAT tube would minimize ingestion of liquids
into the cabin air, and unless the occupants were incapacitated it would be
easy enough to shut off the flow of heated air.

I've attached the details of my scheme to another message posted with this
one.

Best regards,

Rob Housman
A070