Re: Europa-List: Debugging a TCU Problem

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Debugging a TCU Problem
From: Gilles Thesee <Gilles.Thesee@acgrenoble.fr>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 19:26:21

> No, this is when I first turn on the master prior to engine start. I
> have never had a problem in flight or after engine start up

Do you confirm the MP always stays within specified limits ? At
take-off, for instance ?
If so, have you considered the "yellow indicator failure" hypothesis ?

>> Are you sure the servo is so powerful as to overcome any cable binding
>> or wastegate sticking ?
>>
> Lockwood Aviation tell me yes.  John Hurst (Ex US Manager of Europa)
> confirmed this.

If they did not examine your setup, I would not trust them too much on
that...
What is sure, is that if the wastegate is stuck, the servo won't be
powerful enough. It happened to some pilots I know, and sure enough, the
servo could not overcome the friction.

>> Have you tried disconnecting  the cable at the servo end to observe
>> what is going on at power on ?
>>

> Well, no, but given two independent confirmations I didn't think it was
> worth the effort.
>
> Also, this isn't a repeatable problem.  It happens with the first
> power up, but once it works it says working. So, I could go to all the
> trouble to try what you suggest, but it I couldn't conclude any thing
> for sure.

If it were my airplane, I would first make sure it is not the cable or
wasegate.
Disconnecting the cable is no big deal.

> I agree, a close inspection of the unit and the integrity of the crimp
> connectors is in order.  One theory I have is the feedback pot
> on the servo might be faulty, may be the wiper is intermittent and
> all it takes is an initial movement and its okay.  Perhaps the engine
> vibration is enough to do this.
Could be, that is if it is the servo...

Best of luck in your troubleshooting,
Best regards,