Re: Europa-List: 912S engine vibration

Subject: Re: Europa-List: 912S engine vibration
From: Kim Prout <kpaviat@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 16:51:50
Hello Richard!
I noticed that the replies to your vibration inquiry included everything
external. My 912, at about 400 hours started developing a significant
vibration that drove me nuts until I sent in the propeller speed reduction
assembly in for service. Upon disassembly, I noticed that the primary gear
set from the crankshaft to the driving dog was worn. Whatever frequency was
associated with that apparently translated to low frequency vibration outpu
to the gearbox and engine. I replaced the gear set in addition to the usual
servicing of the gearbox and this made the engine smooth again. An internal
problem, not external. I don=B9t know how many hours you have on your Rotax
and if you have serviced the gearbox at the recommended 200 hour intervals
but this can make a significant difference and has proven out in other
Europas with same complaint.
Good Luck and ...
Happy Skies!
kp