Re: Europa-List: FW: Oshkosh Accident

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FW: Oshkosh Accident
From: Trevpond@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 07:09:18

Well said Mike,

Trev Pond
Kit 598

m.j.gregory@talk21.com writes:

In the week or so that has elapsed since the tragic  loss of Cliff and Betty

Shaw in their Europa at Oshkosh, in addition to the  many expressions of gri
ef
and sympathy which we all share, there have been  many postings on this list

regarding the handling characteristics of the  aircraft and their possible
contribution to the crash.  Some of the posts  might be regarded as
scaremongering, and the Europa Club Committee feels it is  appropriate to ex
amine the
aspects that might have a bearing on flight safety  so that we all may learn

something from the collective thoughts that have  followed this tragedy.
 we know
that the aircraft stalled on final approach  and appeared to hit the ground
inverted.  We do not wish to speculate as  to the possibility of pilot
incapacitation or mechanical failure =94 this is  properly left to the
 NTSB investigation
and their final report =94 but we have  reviewed the design, build and

operation of Europa in the context of a  stall/spin accident and would like
to share
the following thoughts with the  aim of helping others to think in a way tha
may help to prevent future  accidents.
The handling of the Europa in flight is general  regarded as being superior
to many other light aircraft, including certified  GA aircraft, and we would

not wish people to gain the impression that its  response near and at the st
all
was particularly dangerous.  Many aircraft  will drop a wing at the stall,
especially if the slip ball is not in the  centre, and some homebuilt aircra
ft
may exaggerate this tendency if there is a  significant inaccuracy in build.

When referring to measures used in  preventing accidents, airline people use

the analogy of  =98layers=99. All these =98layers
=99 are like slices of  cheese with
holes in them. The potential accident is trying to find its way  through and

occasionally it finds a hole in a layer of cheese. Provided the  layers of
cheese have few enough holes and there are enough layers and the  holes don
=99t
line up, the potential accident should not become a reality.  Layers can be
anything from pilot training and aircraft design right  through engineering
practices and construction skills to pilot skill and  coping with workload.
 This
helps us move away from scape-goating and  looking at ways of either adding
extra
layers or reducing the holes in  layers.  In the present situation the
following layers come to  mind:
Design =93 We believe this was both professional and  sound. We were l
ucky to
have someone as knowledgeable as Don Dykins. If there  had been a fundamenta
design problem it would have been identified before  now.
Construction =93 Without doubt there are bigger  differences in constr
uction of
Classics rather than XS Europas. In both cases  accurately setting up
identical angles of incidence and identical flap  positions between wings is
 every
bit as important as aiming for the specified  numbers. To ensure the washout
 is
at least as much as that intended aileron  droop should be avoided. If
necessary both ailerons should be a little raised  in straight and level fli
ght. This
is generally easier to arrange as the  balance weight clearances from the to
wing surface can be a problem if there  is any droop.
Pilot  training =93  Whilst monowheels need specific skills for take-o
ff and
landing, stalls and  the handling skills required should be no more demandin
than any other  aircraft type.
Test  Flying =93 Where  possible this should be done by someone with
significant Europa experience on  many different aircraft. Also to avoid con
flict of
interest at least some test  flying should be done by someone with experienc
e who
is not the owner. Where  any unusual stall handling is observed this should
be addressed before the  aircraft receives its permit. Whether stalls trips
and/or stall warners are  used there should be no problem identifying the
impending stall at least 5 to  7kts above the stall. As parts can move sligh
tly (for
instance due to wear)  any changes of stall handling during annual flight
tests should be addressed  without delay.
Pilot  skills =93  Practice identifying the approaching stall and carr
ying out
the stall recovery  with minimum height loss regularly. Be sure to include
stalls with gear and  flap down as well as clean and practice identifying st
alls
in the turn.  Obviously this should be done at a safe height. Always fly the

aircraft in  balanced flight (ie not cross controlled) unless you have
significant excess  speed above the stall. When flying in a high workload en
vironment
keep to as  standard a pattern as possible. Outside distractions such as man
other  aircraft at an airshow or landing at a difficult strip or landing in
bad  weather must not prevent accurate control of speed and flightpath. We k
now
this has led to landing with gear retracted in monowheels so stalling on bas
 leg or on finals is just as possible in these situations. As they say Aviat
=93  Navigate =93 Communicate. Another adage we use in the airli
ne world is
Plane -  Path -  People. These help you prioritise your tasks. Do not feel
pressurised to continue an approach if things are not  right.
Finally, whilst  on the topic of adages, there are two more which come to
mind:
The superior pilot uses his superior  knowledge to avoid using his superior
skill.
There are old pilots and bold pilots but  no old bold pilots.
We hope this very sad event has helped  the rest of us take on board how
suddenly things can change when we are least  expecting it.
Fly safely
Mike Gregory
Europa Club Safety  Officer
_safety@europaclub.org.uk_ (mailto:safety@europaclub.org.uk)