Europa-List: Re: PPG DCC as top coat?

Subject: Europa-List: Re: PPG DCC as top coat?
From: europa flugzeug fabrik <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:56:10

europa@pstewart.f2s.co wrote:
> Painting was another area we knew nothing about so took advice from our
> painter
who had done several Europas and alot of work on  composite racing cars.

> He was most adamant we should not mix polyester (car body fillers an
> 2 pack paints) with epoxy resins.

Epoxy and polyster don't live together well, but what does he mean by 2-pack
paints?
There's 2-pack epoxies, polyurethanes, and acrylics.  And both water-based
and solvent-based in two of these families.

> We first had to apply a barrier coat ( we used Aerodur) over our surface
> filler
( we used polyfibre).

SuperFil is an epoxy, which is impervious to just about any solvent.  It's
porous
enough to provide excellent adhesion. Before adding weight, I like to hear
the need for a barrier coat under primer from the paint mfr and who knows what
SuperFil is.  Our concern should be adding unnecessary weight.

Fred F.

Read this topic online here: