Europa-List: Maximum Range flights.

Subject: Europa-List: Maximum Range flights.
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:08:08

Hi all,

I need to profess ignorance on this topic.  My question has two parts.
Firstly is the maximum endurance achieved at the best L/D speed ?  Without
getting Mr. Dykin's book out I seem to recall that was around 80 ~ 90 knots.

For the second part of the question.  Is my max range in a head wind
situation achieved at the best L/D plus the head wind component ?  So for
example I wanted to get the most out of my tank of fuel and I had a head
wind component of 20 knots, should I fly at the best L/D plus 20 knots.

Paul