Europa-List: RE: Trim tab movement

Subject: Europa-List: RE: Trim tab movement
From: rparigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:14:50

Hello Keith

I had same problem with my XS Monowheel.

http://www.europa-aircraft.biz/modifications.htm

Read on Europas website, Annex E, lists tab/tailplane ratio min 1.2 and max 1.5

I just squeaked by. If you have XS and can squeak by with 1.2, I think you are
good to go fly (if you have XS).

To visualize what is going on (arc radius intersections)

I made up a exact full scale model. In other words 2 pieces of welding rod with
a eye bent in 1 end (coat hangar will work) and fooled with different geometry
by light nailing to a piece of wood.

Your options are are only to move 2 items, the front T-Bar connection point up
and down, or forward and back, and the pin location on antiservo tab up and down
and forward and back. Note the difference if you have antiservo drive pin
forward
or aft of hinge line.

I cheated a bit, I set up antiservo drive pin location on the plane. I started
with jig to set 1 side and held in place with Bondo then used "Eycrometer" to
set other side. After a bit of fooling got things got things as good as they
were
going to get without having to move the servo bulkhead.

I filled with redux/flox, and first layer of BID was with Redux/BID, then 2
subsequent
Aeropoxy/BID layers.

A side note, the torque tube is the stabilator spar. Push it aft on stabilator
and it is pretty easy to close up space between the 2 pins .075".   I was not
thrilled with the fact that if you leave no space between the antiservo drive
pins and the T-Bar bushings just bump the stabilators and the Bondo bond breaks
right off! Granted once drive pin plates are bonded, it is hopeful stronger
than Bondo, but someone pushing plane backwards by stabilator or in-flight bird
strike or hangar accident immediate loads the pin plate/tab joint. I left .085"
side to side clearance, and with simulated high factor of wigulation found
that my T-Bar likes to live starboard. I put on a round nose plunger on the port
T-Bar top to side load things, got it from McMaster Carr begins tension at
1.3 pounds, delrin nose, .125" plunger movement, 10-32 stainless steel, .75"
long. I redux/floxed it to T-Bar, then did 2 wraps with thin glass and peel
plied.
Need a pretty hard trauma to break the bondo wit
 h .085 clearance.

Ron Parigoris
Visit EuropaOwnersForum http://www.europaowners.org/