Europa-List: Anyone interested in a removable landing/taxi light?

Subject: Europa-List: Anyone interested in a removable landing/taxi light?
From: rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 04:31:22

Anyone interested in a removable landing/taxi light, should weigh not too
much, approx thickness of your finger, and not draw 2 amp?

We finally got to fooling with our latest and greatest LED order.

Pretty impressed with the 10mm 12 degree angle 80,000+mcd LEDs for landing
lights and the 30,000mcd 5mm 20 degree angle for taxi lights.

I figure net illumination will be close to a 50 watt Cessna landing light
with little heat and amp draw in line with surplus anemic Rotax generator
wants to offer.

Idea is a joint venture. Someone with flying Europa with a XS cowl do some
test flying, tape foam a little at a time until happy with shape and size,
not too much drag and cooling etc is OK. (Double sticky and clear
packaging tape, 3M 375) Idea is to make a form fit to bottom of intake on
cowl, easy on and off with a few fasteners. Thickness needs only to be
bout as thick as your finger.

Send me over the foam, and I will fool and figure how and what to fit. I
can populate with what I have and put in a battery in the foam for easy
acid test.

If test goes well, thinking 240 10mm 12 degree aimed for landing, and
between the 10mm, 60 5 mm 20 degree aimed for taxi. Cost is under $.50
each. Thus ~ $150. Can easily incorporate wig wag from 60 5mm to 240 10mm.

12 degree angle spread over 300 feet is not much more than glider wing
span. 20 degree angle gives up a little beyond taxi speed.

OK lets add some realistic fudge:
2.5 amp draw
Weight a few pounds
$250
Very little heat given off
Even if over-driven "LONG" service life
Vibration resistant
8 mounting screws (probably 6?) 2 of which will power unit

Anyone interested?

A year ago if you purchased the latest and greatest from Hosfelt
Electronics, 300 LEDs would be close to $2,000.00 and they were not as
powerful!

Ron Parigoris

http://www.besthongkong.com/index.php

10mm 12 degree
http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=34

5mm 20 degree 30,000mcd
http://www.besthongkong.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=12

These guys accept paypal and were very easy to deal with.