RE: Europa-List: First Flight - N245E

Subject: RE: Europa-List: First Flight - N245E
From: Simon Smith <jodel@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 20:01:49
Congratulations John!

Being only a week ahead of you I know how you feel.  I must warn you
though
that your cheeks will begin to hurt with all the grinning :)

cheers

Simon

TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Sent: 08 July 2006 15:55

Greetings all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that N245E broke the surly bonds of
earth
1:06
and the flight was uneventful. I spent the better part of the flight
circling the field trying to get the piston rings to seat, although I
did
take a jaunt up the valley 10 miles or so once I felt comfortable with
the
engine. I would have flown longer, but I found it quite uncomfortable
with
my seat cushion removed and using my parachute for padding.

It fly's straight and level hands off and the handling is crisp and
predictable. Minor adjustments in the rudder cables are needed, but
other
than that it is a ball to fly! The Jabiru 3300 performed flawlessly and
the
airplane jumped off the ground in about 400' on the turf runway. I
didn't
really record any performance numbers, but I will in the next few
flights
and I'll post them here. I did run it up to 137 knots once, though, and
there was plenty of throttle left. Ground observers said it was very,
very
quiet.

Many thanks to all here in the Europa family and special thanks to Andy
Silvester for all his assistance and the fine FWF package he's put
together.
I also want to thank Neville for his guidance along the way and Andy
Draper
and the Europa factory for their assistance as well. Lastly, I want to
thank
my wife Susan for her consistent encouragement and support, not to
mention
her patience, over the 3.5 year build. She's chomping at the bit for me
get my 40 hours flown off so she can fly it.

The Europa Permagrin has begun.....

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN