Europa-List: Nosewheel Shimmy

Subject: Europa-List: Nosewheel Shimmy
From: Brian and Pat Tarmar <freefolk@screaming.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:18:05

Thanks to the words of Steve Vestuti on this forum last week I believe =
we may have cured the nosewheel shimmy experienced on hard runways.  The =
British agent for Nye Lubricants Inc, (www.newgatesimms.co.uk) was =
extremely helpful and sent two 50grm pots of damping grease for me to =
try.  I decided to use the less thick of the two (NYE NYOGEL 767A) first =
and coated both the shaft and washer.  Test flying in a quartering 15kts =
crosswind with high touchdown speed resulted in no shimmy, and best of =
all the braking required to turn had been reduced to light fingertip =
pressure and accuracy of control never before experienced.  Lubricating =
the "friction" washer naturally make it impossible to achieve 8-9kgs of =
static friction before the nosewheel turned, but by cranking the shaft =
nut up more than before (Bob you are making me nervous now!!) I achieved =
a "snatch" value on the spring balance of 8 kg and 2kgs before the wheel =
started to move with a steady pull.  I now intend experimenting with NYE =
PG44A grease which is the thickest grease in their range, in the hope =
that the shaft nut can be backed off some for the same friction figures.

My thanks to Steve for introducing me to damping grease, a subject I had =
never heard of previously. =20

and to Bob Harrison - sorry to hear about the lost nosewheel and =
consequent damage.  Roll pins never did get my vote.

Brian Tarmar  G-OBJT Classic Trigear XS Front 912S=20
75 hours and smile fast returning