Europa-List: Vibration

Subject: Europa-List: Vibration
From: Thomas Scherer <thomas@scherer.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:23:14

Last weekend I spent with curing the vibration sensed in my Europa (Trike,
classic,
912ul, Airmaster prop). Got myself an automotive vibration analyser off eBay
for 400 US$ and had the pleasure of Kim Prout and his father Paul Prout joining
in.

The vibration analyser (EVA 2) would display the frequency and amplitude of
vibrations
present which will NOT tell you where to add weight, but helps in finding
the source of vibration (looking at rpm and the frequencies diplayed).

After trueing the classic spinner to a new level (you can't tell it is rotating
any more now) I started adding washers to the spinner backplate until the
prop-rpm
would not show up any more on the display.

The procedure took about 4 hrs and plenty of short engine runs.

The baby now flies as if an electric motor were installed (this tells you how
bad
vibrations were before) and I expect all equipment to have longer service life
now.

The plane is based in Southern California and I would gladly assist others in
de-vibrating
their planes or - if you want - buy the unit from me.

Happy landings,

<Thomas, N81EU>