RE: Europa-List: VOR Aerial / Antenna

Subject: RE: Europa-List: VOR Aerial / Antenna
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 13:12:38

Peter Rees wrote:

> I'm looking at installing a VOR / ILS receiver in
> G-MFHI and am looking for some advice on a suitable

Peter,

I have a Narco 122 installed in my Europa.  I have a single whip antenna for
the Marker Beacon and a Bob Archer VOR Antenna mounted in the roof.  I use a
splitter for the glideslope antenna.

Unlike Jim Brown's, mine works "just okay".  I seem to have a distinct lack
of localizer sensitivity, although the VOR woks fine.  I haven't invested a
lot of time in debugging it and I suspect at the end of the day it probably
won't be an antenna location issue.

An alternative location is the wing, although it means you have one more
cable to connect / disconnect when you install / remove the wings.  You will
also need to give some thought as to how service the antenna, for example if
you have to replace the coaxial cable.

As far as the comments about GPS / WAAS, at this time I am not bought in.
WAAS enabled approach certified GPS units are expensive.  I have an Apollo
GX60 approach certified box, and yes, they are cool but there can be an
awful lot of button pushing going on compared to a LOC/GS or a VOR/Alpha
approach.

Regards,  Paul