Re: Europa-List: Good news, bad news

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Good news, bad news
From: Chris Beck <n9zes@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 18:29:59

Steve Hagar wrote:

> I didn't have to do a bunch of back and forth  tap dancing on the rudders to
keep it straight on the line as had been my experience in a  Cessna 140 and 2
other Europas I had taxied.  However being more at ease in my own plane may have
led to more measured footwork may account for the  better tracking. (good news).
On the other hand my low speed taxi was more of a medium speed taxi.  With
the throttle pulled back to its high i
> dle (1500-1600) the taxi rate seemed to be approaching a very fast run by a
> healthy
teenager.  Brakes were being dragged almost the whole time. (bad news).
I haven't set the prop pitch stops yet on the Airmaster and I hope that is the
issue.

--->  I can't speak to the prop pitch issue, but I did just resolve an
idle speed issue with our 140.  In the process of getting the idle
mixture sorted (too rich), I ended up with an idle speed of about 800
rpm or even a little more.  It would taxi pretty good at 'idle', and
landing was an absolute b!tch!!!!  I made some REALLY ugly landings
trying to get it on the ground.

Once we got the idle adjusted to the proper 575 - 600 rpm, it lands like
an absolute pussy cat.

With the high idle, it would float or even climb during the flare,
skitter all around the runway, and even drag the tailwheel for a while
before finally giving up and getting on the ground when trying to do a
3-point landing.

I'm just wondering how much effect idle speed combined with prop pitch
on the Europa might effect the landing ease between different Europas?

Chris