RE: Europa-List: Monowheel Jacking

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Monowheel Jacking
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:01:53

Jon:

I just did this about 3 weeks ago.  Attach an engine hoist just behind the
engine like you mentioned.  I used a shackle and some nylon webbing.  Don't
worry about having a lot of weight suspened from a single point.  The plane
is not supposed to be heavy any way, right.   Don't try to support any
amount of weight with the wings and stands unless you have a very large
bearing surface to lay on.  Keep the weight off of the  wings and on the
engine mount. Just put some items under the wings to stop them from
rotating and having the wingtips hit the ground.  I was able to sit inside
and rotate the gear on the engine stand.  Have someone outside by the stand
while you are doing this. Depending on how far your boom is out the stand
might tend to rotate.  Adjust the  boom or have your buddy stand on the
hoist

Steve Hagar
A143
Mesa, AZ

Steve Hagar
hagargs@earthlink.net

retraction test/ inspection using a hoist?
> In the past I've always messed around with jacks and trestles under the
wing spars which works fine, if a little precarious!  A friend though has a
hydraulic engine hoist which seems ideal and much easier - I was just
worried that there would be a lot of weight suspended from a single point
on the airframe.
> Where is the best place to attach the strap?  I've heard talk about using
the undercarriage mounting frame just behind the engine mounts??