Re: Europa-List: Electrical Shortage

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Electrical Shortage
From: Andrew Sarangan <asarangan@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:57:47

The voltage and amps you refer to are from the main electrical bus. You
could have a bad connection between the main bus and the attitude
indicator. If you hook up a volt meter to the terminals of the attitude
indicator, that should tell you whether you are getting the full
voltage under load.

Alternatively, if your panel-mount ammeter is a real ammeter, you
should be able to tell how much extra current the attitude indicator is
drawing, and compare that to the manufacturer's specifications. Or you
can hook up a digital multimeter in series with your battery and do the
same measurement.

--- Garry <garrys@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> Being VERY electrically challenged, I'm hoping some of my smarter
> Europa friends can help point me in the right direction to solve a
> recent problem.  I have an R.C. Allen electric artificial horizon
> instrument which began to "tumble" several months ago.  I returned it
> to the factory and they said it tested OK, but replaced the bearings
> anyway.  I reinstalled it, but same thing happened.  When I
> telephoned the factory they suggested that perhaps I wasn't getting
> full electrical power to the unit.  I'm assuming by that they mean
> 13.2 volts (2.2 volts per battery cell, times 6 cells).  The
> voltmeter in my panel reads 11.9 volts with radio, GPS and
> transponder turned on, and reads 12.1 volts when I turn off the
> radio, GPS, and transponder.  My Ammeter reads
> 003.............whatever that means.  Increasing my RPM from 4900 to
> 5200 increases the voltmeter reading by about .1 volt.  Do I have a
> voltage problem?  If so, why?  I've been flying my trigear 914 for 6
> years without this !
>  problem, and have not added any additional electrical equipment to
> the plane in the 6 years.  My battery is 2 months old.  Should I be
> looking at my alternator.........or my
> regulator/rectifier..........or what?  Is there a way to turn up the
> juice (volts) going to my artificial horizon?  How would I go about
> trouble shooting this problem?  What fixes are most likely?  If you
> respond, please remember the first 4 words in this email!  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Garry Stout
> 914 tri,  460 hours, 6 years flying

Andrew Sarangan